Campus Construction, Negatives, 1964-68: Ryon Lab

I idly opened up a box last week even though it was clearly labeled as containing negatives. Negatives are no fun whatsoever–the only way to really see what’s on one is to scan it–so I tend to avoid them whenever possible. I can’t explain why I suddenly opened this box. Predictably, it was full of fantastic images unlike any we have in the main photo files.

Ryon negatives earlier 1

First up, Ryon Lab. This set was taken right after the demolition of what had been there before, the building called the Engineering Annex, which had itself evolved out of the original Chemistry Annex. Whoever took them had the presence of mind to walk all the way around the construction site so we can see what I’m really interested in (hint: it’s not construction).

Ryon negatives earlier 2

There’s quite a bit to see here, including a great surface level view of that big parking lot, another obstructed view of the back of Chemistry and the Army and Navy ROTC buildings.

Ryon negatives earlier 3

Bonus: Ever wonder where stuff like this comes from?

20130807_143820_resized

13 Responses to Campus Construction, Negatives, 1964-68: Ryon Lab

1. kathy kalber kinsella says:

lucky you?

2. Grungy says:

What’s the girdered tower above the roof on the left of the second photo?

• Melissa Kean says:

I have absolutely no idea, although it might be on top of Abercrombie. Frankly, I was hoping a reader would know.

• marmer01 says:

Ryon Lab and Brown College were both built 1964-’65-ish. Could it be related to construction at Brown, especially since Brown is multi-story?
        I’m amused at the ’53 and ’58 Fords here in ’64-’65. Cars aged quickly and those would have on their way to old beater status.

3. Francis Eugene "Gene" PRATT, Institute Class of '56 says:

Melissa,
    Do you think anyone will ever take all these photos, and with the magic of computer animation, etc., produce a morphing video of the evolution of the Rice Institute/University campus?
    (Does that question make sense; I’m NOT sure.)

4. marmer01 says:

And what you’re really interested in is probably the ROTC building(s), right?

5. Deborah Gronke Bennett (BSEE Hanszen '82) says:

The black car on the far right in the first picture says “North Texas State” across the top and “Texas Christian University” across the bottom of the rear windshield. I also note that the demolition seems to be in the winter or early spring since many trees are leafless.

6. Pingback: Campus Construction, Negatives, 1964-68: Math Sciences, Part I | Rice History Corner

7. Pingback: Rice Hotel Laundry | Rice History Corner