Contact sheet 3I’ve got a full plate today but I have a few minutes to myself right now, sitting in the worst run Starbucks I’ve ever come across and getting ready to go back out into the rain and snow. (Yes, both.) I’m reminded, though, that stifling heat in the winter is the Yankee equivalent of our over-airconditioning in the summer.

Contact sheet 1

Maybe perversely, this reminded me of a strange contact sheet I found in the Woodson’s photo files. The sheet is unlabeled and undated, but even in their tiny form the images caught my eye because of their seeming randomness.

Contact sheet 4

I scanned quite a few and looked at them for quite a while before I hit on the one that I believe explains the others.

Contact sheet 2

So the RMC must have caught on fire, maybe sometime in the early ’80s. I freely admit that I don’t know anything about this but I’ll bet some of you do.


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to “Fire”

  1. marmer01 says:

    Rain and snow? I thought you were in Hawaii! It’s a sad story. In April 1995, Will Rice junior Alberto Youngblood set the Pub on fire, causing a lot of damage to the Band Hall, the Campus Store, and the rest of the RMC. In September of that year, he was charged with arson. Thresher stories here: http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth246510/?q=arson

  2. Charles says:

    I think that it must be later than that based on the Apple Performa computers. Say mid 1990s.

    • Melissa Kean says:

      Weirdly, I was already at Rice when this happened but I have no memory of it. I was a graduate student at the time, though, so there are probably a lot of other things I failed to notice.

  3. almadenmike says:

    Searching rice.edu for “Rice Memorial Center” and “fire” turned up a list of Woodson audio-visual materials including this VHS tape located in Box 19 (Item 3): “Rice Memorial Center Fire” local Houston coverage; April 6-7, 1995″ (http://library.rice.edu/collections/WRC/finding-aids/university-archives/audio-visual_UA151)

  4. Margo says:

    Yep, that would be the Willy’s Pub Fire of April 1995 (my sophomore year). A disgruntled student set a very late-night fire in (or near) the pub in the RMC. The stairwell of the bookstore ended up acting as a chimney, and everything in the store was declared a loss due to smoke damage, I believe.

  5. marmer01 says:

    Hopefully Grungy will weigh in soon. I’m sure he remembers it well.

  6. Grungy says:

    They appear to have “basement of the RMC” in common.
    The Campus Store storeroom, possibly the hallway from The MOB’s office door into the basement of Sammy’s (showing the fire suppresion water on the floor), Sammy’s downstairs storage, and a counter in the Campus Store with a note written in the soot.
    You have nailed the event.
    Would you like some soot?
    I still have quite a bit of it…

    • Melissa Kean says:

      Are you serious?

      • Grungy says:

        About which part? There’s plenty of soot on the FirstFedora uniforms, and quite a bit of the paper MOB records that I have.

      • grungy1973 says:

        And I still have half of a closet rod full of sooty ’82-’95 MOB uniforms in my master closet, 10 years later.
        Quite a bit of the sooty stuff has been laundered, dry cleaned, or hurled into the abyss, but there’s still some that turns my fingers black when I handle it.
        The offer stands.

  7. I think Melissa’s archives need a little packet of RMC fire soot, don’t you?

    • Grungy says:

      I didn’t save any as a free-standing item.
      It’s very clingy, although it has an affinity for skin.

  8. marmer01 says:

    Ah. Soot is approximately equal to toner.

  9. TomT says:

    The pub itself was locked. The student poured lighter fluid on the outside of the pub’s wooden door and ignited it. Because of a lack of fire suppression and notification systems in the RMC at the time, the fire spread uncontrolled through the pub and other parts of the basement. Parts that didn’t burn still received significant smoke damage. After this fire the RMC and many other Rice buildings were retrofitted with fire sprinkler systems.

  10. Syd Polk says:

    I think the Rice Conn bass sax died in that fire. A shame, too, as those things are fairly rare.

  11. George Webb '88, '91 says:

    “Stifling heat in the winter” — very true! I’ve had many business trips to NYC and Boston when I’ve had to step outside the building in the middle of the cold, just to get a few minutes of relief from the near-80 heat indoors. Obviously outdoor temperatures in the 80s don’t bother me at all, but that kind of heat indoors makes me ill.

  12. George Webb '88, '91 says:

    In its effect on campus life, the burning of the Pub was one of the worst events in Rice’s post-war history.

Leave a Reply to Melissa KeanCancel reply