“Striped Curtain of Death” Just Doesn’t Have the Same Ring To It

I’d only ever known this curtain in the gym to be blue.

622x350

This is a Houston Chronicle photo that I grabbed off the internet.

(Incidentally, the ghastly blue suit that former AD Chris Del Conte had made out of a piece of that blue curtain is in the Woodson. It weighs roughly a ton.)

This striped curtain is new to me. It looks pretty gaudy, doesn’t it?

Basketball in gym band ndBasketball in gym 2

These images are pretty fuzzy and all scratched up on top of it, but I’m hoping someone will be able to give me at least an approximate date. I’m thinking it must be early or mid-60s. Nice hats on the band, by the way.

14 Responses to “Striped Curtain of Death” Just Doesn’t Have the Same Ring To It

1. joni says:

Unusual referee uniforms too!

• Richard A. Schafer says:

I can’t ever remember an intramural game with a) an audience of that size, or b) a band. From the haircuts I would bet late 50s, rather than in the 60s.

• Karl Benson says:

Those stands were rolled out only for intercollegiate games, and the students never came to intramural games, much less the band. I can’t make out the visiting team name, but with a Campanile it might be possible to identify Rice no. 32. The 60s seems right – the guys are still wearing white socks and penny loafers, but the 50s crew cuts look to be gone.

2. The band is looking dapper, with straw boaters and ties.

3. almadenmike says:

Karl, from the Rice Basketball Fact Book (page 134), here’s a list of all the fellows who wore #32 (and I’ve added their letter years, if I could find them; the fact book also had some partial-career years when the number was worn): Norman Pahmeier, F (1953-54); Tinker Wilson, F (1955-56); Dick Park, F; (1960-61); Bob Hill, F (H, 1961-62); Dick Cramer, G (H) (1963); Larry Miller, G (H) (1966-68); Tom Myer, F (H) (1969-71); Hary Huggins, G; John Brockenbrough Mott, G (1978-80); Tom Miller, G (1983-85); Ronald Robertson, G (1986-88); Brent Scott, C (1990-93); Jesse Cravins, F (1994-95); Ferron Morgan, C (2000-01); Rashid Smith, G (2003-04); Cory Pflieger, G (2006-7,-9,-11)

4. Owlcop says:

And short shorts.

5. grungy1973 says:

Never seen the basketball band in that uniform before.
    To my knowledge, Nelson Hatt (’66) lead a basketball band that was formed on the jazz band of his time. His stories made me think that there hadn’t been an active band before he got this particular version going.
    Having no luck mapping the logo on the floor to any logo other than the curvy, fat “R” that was on the football helmets from ’67 to ’70, and this “R” is skinny.

6. I can’t find any pics of college b-ball games with refs wearing anything but the traditional black and white vertical stripes. This is a mystery.

7. John Coles says:

#32 is Larry Miller. He played from 1964-1968. Others appear to be Bill Howard, Tommy Molina and maybe Bobby Rule. I’ve asked Coach Greg Williams to comment.

8. John Coles says:

Coach Williams confirmed that #32 is Larry Miller. He said the curtain was striped, and a vinyl like material. It did not go all the way to the top so badminton shuttlecocks would occasionally come onto the court and the game would have to be stopped. The year is 67-68.