Main Entrance Construction with Woman, Circa 1911

Well, here’s another surprise. See her perched on top of the pile of bricks at left? Zoom in and you can see she’s wearing a cute outfit:

Main gate construction with seated woman c1911

I’ve been trying to think whether I’ve ever seen another woman on one of these early construction sites and I’m pretty sure the answer is no. I don’t see any workers around and I wonder if it might be a Sunday or a holiday. Weird that it’s a professional photograph, though.

Bonus: It was a beautiful day today, with some early signs of spring.

Early spring redtips by chapel 2015

7 Responses to Main Entrance Construction with Woman, Circa 1911

1. almadenmike says:

Possibly the photographer’s wife or girlfriend?

One would have to review his other work to learn if “E.M. Irish” regularly used such a pose.

2. Keith Cooper says:

Notice the unobstructed view of Mech Lab through the right hand gate. Amazing how the trees affect our perceptions of the campus

3. RW HouTX says:

Is that a 191 port-a-can to her right??

4. RW HouTX says:

Sorry, I meant “1911 Port-a-can”.

5. marmer01 says:

Who can tell? I think the construction is the point of the photo, not the woman. Perhaps the woman was a local prospective student and she wanted to take a picture to show her out-of-town family where she would be attending college.

• marmer01 says:

And that pile of bricks was the only thing resembling a place to sit. No doubt it smelled really good, too, if it was indeed a construction outhouse next to her.