Friday Follies: Flashy!

There are several dozen pictures in the files of students hanging around in the Administration Building parking lot but only one of them features a car with white tires. I didn’t even know that could happen!

Stancliff photo file white tires

Bonus: This is the same stairwell I put up a few days ago, as photographed by Tommy Lavergne. It’s not fair, of course. He has better equipment than I do and also talent.

150422_Continuning_Studies_Building_b 0075

9 Responses to Friday Follies: Flashy!

1. Ron Sass says:

Rubber is naturally an off white colored viscous fluid. Carbon black is added to tires in order to make them black. Also, additives such as carbon black make tires more durable, but they could be made in almost any color. Wouldn’t that be fantastic!?

2. marmer01 says:

Google “brass era white tires” and you will find lots of images. http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/oklahoma_collector_goes_for_best_of_the_brass_era

3. almadenmike says:

Are the men in that car photo wearing freshman beanies? They look too old to be freshmen, especially the one second from the left. If it’s not a freshman beaning, what is their hat, and what does it signify?

4. almadenmike says:

“If they’re not freshman beanies, what are they?”

(Wish I could edit my posted comments; I often press “Post” too soon. )

• Karen says:

They do look like freshman beanies. I’d guess they’re alums, remembering their freshman days.

5. Photography is all about the light. I remember a show at the Contemporary Arts Museum with five views of Yosemite Valley by Ansel Adams. Same mountains, different light. It was like Monet and the Rouen Cathedral.

6. marmer01 says:

They do look older than freshmen. I can’t see enough of the car to identify it, but my guess is that it’s circa 1925 at the latest. And a Model T Ford is always a good guess. https://oldmotorsguy.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/1926-ford-model-t-touring-ebay-photos-015.jpg
    They must be pretty early alumni.