Here We Go Again

The start of fall semester is always a shock. You can see the end of the year coming from a long ways off, but the beginning just suddenly falls out of the sky. Last week was O Week, and though I’ve complained about it in the past this year’s version was really unobtrusive. Today everyone was back, many of the freshmen still looking a bit like this in spite of their lengthy orientation:

New Newcomers 1965052

Just for fun I scanned a couple of almost random pages. Don’t they feel like they’re being beamed to us from another universe?

New Newcomers 1965 girls053

New Newcomers 1965 boys 054

Bonus: This looks to be a fairly clever marketing stunt and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a parachute in the quad before. And yes, it was full of cans of Red Bull.

10 Responses to Here We Go Again

1. marmer01 says:

Wow, three people from Lake Jackson. And Frankie Mandola.

2. Dog mom says:

Love this, Melissa! The cartoon is especially cute.

3. Dave Norton says:

Facesbook before Facebook

4. mjthannisch says:

I think I see shades of Jackie Kennedy (Onasis)

5. Bryan says:

I see Mark Fowler, whose rich voice resonated on KLEF for so long. R.I.P.

6. Barney L. McCoy says:

This brings back fond memories. I was the Biology 100 lab instructor (under Dr. Davies) for several of these students. The most vivid memory is of Allison Cook fainting when she started dissecting her frog; luckily I and another student caught her before she hit the floor (I don’t mean to imply that this is a fond memory, just a vivid one). And Frankie Mandola and I have a recurring schtick performed at various public events where he loudly asks me if I have graded his Biology test yet and I reply with some weird answer.
    Barney L. McCoy, Hanszen 67

7. Bill Peebles, '70 says:

Gave me a twinge to see the picture of Karen Getto, soon to be Karen Getto Peebles. She passed away in 2008.

8. Francis Eugene "Gene" PRATT, Institute Class of '56 says:

They all look so familiar to me and yet I did NOT know any of them.

9. Kathy says:

I knew several of them, especially the girls. And believe me, many of them looked at lot different by the time they graduated! It was a very tumultuous time, fashion-wise, at least, to be going to college 8-).