Recruiting, circa 1960s

I believe this is the ill fated Bo Hagan, who succeeded Jess Neely as Rice’s head football coach in 1967, circling a possible recruit.

They’re labeled only “Beaumont.” It looks a bit . . . awkward.

New possibly recruiting c60s Beaumont047

New possibly recruiting c60s 048

Bonus: I like the way this looks. I did not climb up there although I wanted to.(I might yet.)

IMG_3980

IMG_3981

9 Responses to Recruiting, circa 1960s

1. Bill Johnson 57-58 says:

The top rows of bricks on Anderson look spaulled. They have not held up like hard, well fired bricks should have and will have to be replaced. What is with Architecs?, Cant build for the ages.

2. kirwin drouet says:

I certainly could be wrong but the hint about Beaumont and the fact that I played basketball against a guy that looks like the recruit makes me believe the player is Paul Robichaux, who was a great athlete for Beaumont Kelly High School. He actually signed and played football for the University of Texas.

• almadenmike says:

Excellent memory, Kirwin. I looked up Paul Robichau’s e-mail address (he returned to Beaumont after college) and asked him.

His reply:

“That is me in the photo/story. Rice was very strong in its recruitment of me, but my desire was always to play for Texas, which is where I signed and played from ’67-’70. Coach Hagan personally recruited me and several others from this area. As I recall, he was a very fine gentleman, but I don’t think he had much success recruiting in this area.

“Thanks for bringing back some really good, but really old, memories.”

(Paul is prominent in this 2012 Beaumont Enterprise & Journal article about Golden Triangle Longhorns’ memories of Darrel Royal: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/Local-players-remember-former-Texas-coach-Royal-4021045.php)

• Melissa Kean says:

This is simply fantastic. Many thanks, Mike and Kirwin!

• Yay me! As a further note, i was the point guard at 5′ at St. James Elementary School in Port Arthur and we played St. Anne’s in Beaumont when I was in the eighth grade. Paul was a star on that St. Anne’s team and that’s how I remembered him. Maybe AlmadenMike can send this photo to Paul to jog his memory. This was my 7th grade St. James basketball team that played his St. Anne’s team every year. I am the second guy from the left on the first row……

3. vkbenson says:

If I were the contractor, I would not let you climb up there. Their liability insurance probably won’t allow it anyway.

4. How have they kept students from climbing up there? Lots of wild and crazy Architecture majors burning the midnight oil in that building…

5. marmer01 says:

Even in the summer? Climbing scaffold is scary, anyway, and it probably doesn’t hold that much appeal.